Friday 19 March 2010

On being obstructed by random popstars

My to-do list was interfered with by Lulu yesterday. I was in Waterstones (SPOILER ALERT IF YOU HAPPEN TO BE MARRIED TO ME AND ARE ABOUT TO HAVE A BIRTHDAY: Don't read this until after Sunday). Ahem. I was in Waterstones looking for a particular book for Husband's birthday and as I walked up to the first floor, I wondered why there were quite so many people milling about on a Thursday afternoon. A sudden passion kindled in the bosom of the Scottish populace for Politics, Psychology and Military History? No. I soon discovered that the reason was Lulu doing a signing session for her new book "Secrets to Looking Good" (Hint: have no money worries and access to professional hairdressers, stylists and make-up artists 7 days a week).

Annoyingly, she was sitting right in front of the section I wanted. There was a Waterstones employee standing by the stairs, directing the crowds. I automatically went into mildly outraged Edinburgh wifie mode. "Does that (gesturing towards Lulu and adoring fans) mean I can't get to the Biography section?"

The boy smiled wanly. "Not today, I'm afraid". I turned on my heel, muttering to myself. But not before I had a wee peek to see if she really looked that young in real life (she does but in a sort of plastic not-quite-real sort of way) and to check which version of her accent she was using today (the Glasgow keelie version, for the home fanbase).

I went back today and got my book in peace.

6 comments:

  1. I just had to look up Lulu to make sure I knew who she is. She must be huge on your side of the ocean, because I can't imagine people lining up to see her in a bookstore here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know who Lulu is either, and am not nearly as interested in finding out as jen was. But if Lulu or anyone kept me from the section of the bookstore or library that I needed to get to, well, I would just be as annoyed as all get out.

    And I just realized that I bookmarked your blog because you are from Edinburgh. I probably found it because of that and bookmarked it because it is awesome. We're hiking in Scotland this summer and I want to know all I can find out about Edingburgh. Real people are better than guide books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, you don't want to hear this, but I loved this song of hers! Still annoying she took up all that space!

    "To make you laugh I'd play the fool for you,
    although the people turn and stare.
    i'd give my everything to keep you for
    it breaks my heart when you're not there.
    i'll stage a ballet on a table top,
    command performance finger size.
    though I ain't got no tune my show won't flop,
    cause I'll find the music in your eye.
    oh me oh my
    i'm a fool for you baby.
    oh me oh my,
    when I'm crazy, said I'm crazy
    oh me oh my
    i'm a fool for you baby
    let your love light shine on me.
    we'll blow a genie from a cigarette,
    we'll take a magic carpet ride,
    we'll tell our smoky friends now don't forget
    you must keep us side by side,
    oh me oh my
    i'm a fool for you baby.
    oh me oh my,
    when I'm crazy, said I'm crazy
    oh me oh my
    I'm a fool for you baby
    just let your love light shine on me."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grrr... Lulu and her ever changing accent!! So annoying! I really wish I could have seen your 'mildly outraged Edinburgh wifie mode' though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm astonished that there would be crowds for Lulu. Also disappointed that she actually does look good. Cf Twiggy. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't quite understand when Lulu became a national treasure. Or Elton John, for that matter.

    But having said that, I seem to be the only person in the UK who actively would not want to have Stephen Fry over for dinner.

    ReplyDelete