Friday 1 October 2010

Not a good week, all things considered

Bellus continues to recover well from his surgery and is very obviously looking forward to getting out of solitary confinement. Sadly, however, we have lost Zyra.

Husband and I were out at Ikea last night doing a bit of shopping while my mother looked after the boys. While we were gone, Zyra was hit by a couple of cars. A neighbour round the corner saw what happened and called us to let us know. He also kindly moved her off the road (the drivers of the cars involved hadn't stopped). She must have died instantly and there was nothing we could do for her.

Second Born is pretty upset - he and Zyra were very close and the Empress of Death and Destruction was often to be found asleep on SB's bed, buried among the stuffed rats and guinea pigs. Coming after the trauma with Bellus last weekend, this has been a bit of a shock to the system for all of us but particularly for SB. I am planning to feed him junk food and let him watch wall-to-wall DVDs all weekend if that is what he feels like doing.

In the meantime we will be trying to figure out how many mirrors we must have inadvertently broken to give us two such accidents in under a week.

12 comments:

  1. Oh no :( I'm sorry Loth, what a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear this, Loth. It's always horrible to lose a pet. Poor SB, I hope he can come to terms with it soon. Bring on the junk food, I hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ! I am so awfully sorry Loth !! Really really sorry !
    I hope it all ends here !
    All my love and good wishes to SB & FB and off course to you all....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, that is a rough week. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All thoughts are with you, very sad news.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh NO!!! Oh, poor you and Mr you and FB and SB. I'm so sorry. How awful. I shall have to chain our furry friends paw and paw to keep them in the garden. And how awful of the drivers not to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How truly horrible for you. My best wishes to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How dreadful!! I am so sorry for you and especially for SB.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sister lives near very busy streets. She lost her beloved kitty and I think it just broke her heart. So for a long time she kept the new kitties in, but they so loved the outdoors! Well, she found what they call a kitty pen. She put a kitty doorway in her laundry-room and then they go out into her back yard and she has a netted area for them. They love it, and have never tried to climb the netting. http://www.deerbusters.com/cat-fencing.html That will give you a look. Or better yet, just keep them inside from kittenhood forward. Then they never know the difference.
    I am so sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is just horrible Loth. Hope you and the family are bearing up and Bellus is not pining for her too much x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so difficult to lose a kitty. You have my sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no, Loth, that is awful. I'm sorry I'm so late in reading this, but, oh dear. (I've not read anyone's blogs for weeks but am now getting back into it.) The poor cat! And poor SB - children take these things hard, don't they? It's like losing one of the family. Is there any way to prevent your other cat from going onto that road, or ..?

    ReplyDelete